SiriusXM and Pandora Celebrate Black Music Month with Limited-Time Channels, Exclusive Content and Specialty Programming
The 2PAC Channel, So So Def Radio, Billboard Top 500 R&B Countdown, and Hip Hop Top 500 debut as limited-time channels throughout the month
New York, NY - June 1, 2023 - SiriusXM and Pandora today announced the launch of its Black Music Month celebrations with limited-time channels, exclusive content and specialty programming spotlighting legendary artists and music.
In honor of Black Music Month, SiriusXM will feature four limited-time channels including The 2PAC Channel, So So Def Radio, Billboard Top 500 R&B Countdown, and Hip Hop Top 500, all providing a unique and exclusive experience for listeners that spotlight the artists and songs that have been transformative in Black music. See below for details on SiriusXM’s limited-time channels and additional specialty programming:
The 2PAC Channel will play hits, album tracks and live performances from hip-hop icon 2PAC. From his early career days, through his time at Death Row and his posthumous releases, hear all music from the genius of 2PAC and from other artists who are “Down For Pac” as they share their favorite songs and stories. The 2PAC Channel will be available on SiriusXM channel 104 from June 15 through June 28 and on the SXM App until June 30.
So So Def Radio celebrates 30 years of So So Def Records with founder and CEO Jermaine Dupri and various artists from and associated with the iconic label. Hear the music and stories behind some of the biggest hits as well as classic tracks produced by Jermaine himself. The channel will take listeners through three decades of influential smashes by history-making hip-hop, R&B and pop superstars including Da Brat, Jagged Edge, Xscape, Anthony Hamilton, Bow Wow, Dem Franchize Boyz, Youngbloodz, Kris Kross, Usher and others. So So Def Radio will be available on SiriusXM channel 104 from June 8 through June 14 and on the SXM App until June 30. Starting June 16th, you can also hear So So Def Radio as a takeover mode on Pandora’s Hip Hop Forever station.
Billboard Top 500 R&B Countdown honors Black Music Month with Billboard’s Top 500 R&B hits by Black artists over the past six decades, also based on performance on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, from Motown to disco and funk to soul, right up to today’s current hits. Hear music from artists such as Marvin Gaye, The Weeknd, Rihanna, Usher, Mariah Carey, Smokey Robinson, Beyoncé, Lionel Richie, Whitney Houston and more. The Billboard Top 500 R&B Countdown will be available on SiriusXM channel 104 from June 1 through June 7 and on the SXM App until June 30.
Hip Hop Top 500 are the biggest songs in hip-hop from Dr. Dre to Missy Elliott to J. Cole and hundreds more spanning three-plus decades, but only one will get the props at the top of the countdown. Hip-Hop Top 500 will be available on SiriusXM channel 105 from June 23 through June 29 and on the SXM App until June 30.
SiriusXM will feature additional specialty programming to celebrate Black Music Month including:
- 50s Gold Guest DJ with Smokey Robinson: Smokey Robinson highlights Black music from the 50s with stories of artists he worked with, admired and was inspired by. The Smokey Robinson Guest DJ airs on SiriusXM’s 50s Gold (ch. 72) on June 2nd.
- 60s Gold Black Music Month Top 40: 60s Gold honors Black Music Month with the top 40 songs by Black artists from the 60s. The countdown airs on SiriusXM’s 60s Gold (ch. 73) on June 17th.
- Hip-Hop Nation’s Hip-Hop Heroes: Hear today's hip-hop hitmakers celebrate and highlight some of their respective hip-hop heroes for Black Music Month. Listen to voices like Cordae, Blxst, Toosii, Lah Pat, and Hit-Boy speak on artists like Nas, Jay-Z, Scarface, LL Cool J, 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., and more. Hip-Hop Heroes airs on SiriusXM’s Hip-Hop Nation (ch. 44) every week throughout June.
- Hits 1 Black Music Month: Each week during the month of June, host 24kGoldn will feature Black Music Month superstars during his Goldn Hour feature starting with André 3000. Hits 1 will also be spotlighting Black artists each week on the Weekend Countdown w/ SpyDer Harrison. Hits 1 Black Music Month celebration airs on SiriusXM’s Hits 1 (ch. 2) throughout June.
- My Top 8 with Mario: Grab your headphones and get ready to jam out with Mario's top 8 picks for Black Music Month. He'll play hits from Beyoncé to Usher and share some fun facts about his own hits like “Just A Friend” and “Let Me Love You.” My Top 8 with Mario airs on SiriusXM’s Pop 2K (ch. 10) on June 6th.
- SiriusXM and Pandora Playback with Toosii: Moderated by YaGirlMorgz, Toosii has all eyes on him and his new single ”Favorite Song” in front of a live in-studio audience. The playback airs as a Pandora Takeover Mode on June 23rd and airs on SiriusXM’s Hip-Hop Nation (ch. 44) on June 27th.
- Symphony Hall: This Juneteenth, celebrate the contributions and artistry of Black Americans in classical music featuring music by Florence Price, William Grant Still, Jessie Montgomery, Adolphus Hailstork and others. The Juneteenth remembrance and celebration airs on SiriusXM’s Symphony Hall (ch. 76) on June 19th.
- The Groove Sessions with Jody Watley: Grammy winner Jody Watley performs live from the SiriusXM studio in front of an audience in celebration of Black Music Month. SiriusXM’s The Groove Session with Jody Watley airs on SiriusXM’s The Groove (ch. 50) on June 17th.
- The Groove Sessions with War: Celebrate Black Music Month with the Funk/Soul band, War, taking over The Groove for an hour with an exclusive performance. Hear “Low Rider,” “Slippin Into Darkness,” “Why Can’t We Be Friends” and more. SiriusXM’s The Groove Session with War airs on The Groove (ch. 50) on June 1st.
- Mixtape: North: Throughout the month of June, catch a live recording of the official launch of Mixtape: North on SiriusXM ch.164, the first 24/7 Canadian Hip-Hop and R&B channel. Featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR and Friends, the recorded broadcast includes performances by LAVI$H, Savannah Ré and Boi-1da, along with multiple surprise guests. In addition, tune in June 23 for an exclusive in-studio takeover with PARTYNEXTDOOR, who will be playing his favorite selects from across the channel's catalog.
To celebrate Black Music Month, Pandora is launching a LEGENDS mode series on the Black Music Forever station with the greatest commentary from R&B/soul legends – Babyface, Chaka Khan, The Isley Brothers, Smokey Robinson, Jennifer Holliday and Whitney Houston. Additional station modes returning include 90s Hip-Hop and R&B, 80s R&B Grooves, Black Pop Hits, Timeless Voices, Modern-Day Hip-Hop and Modern-Day R&B. Pandora’s Blueprint station is also debuting Best in R&B: The Takeover mode, a new rebrand of the Adult R&B station with an exclusive best of takeover filled with commentary from the biggest Adult R&B takeovers thus far, such as Usher, Ella Mai, Tank, Ashanti, Robert Glasper and many more.
Black Music Month will also see the premiere of the second season of the award-winning SXM podcast All Music Is Black Music hosted by Selema Masekela with guests including Coco Jones, Denzel Curry, Smokey Robinson and more. All Music is Black Music, co-produced with the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, explores the profound influence of African American music and culture on the contemporary music landscape. Each episode delves into the stories of black musicians and cultural creators who have shaped today's trends, styles, and genres. Original music by Mobley adds a captivating sonic dimension to this series.
Eligible customers can get their first three months of SiriusXM streaming for free. Click here to sign up and experience all that SiriusXM has to offer. See Offer Details.
About Sirius XM Holdings Inc.
SiriusXM is the leading audio entertainment company in North America with a portfolio of audio businesses including its flagship subscription entertainment service SiriusXM; the ad-supported and premium music streaming services of Pandora; an expansive podcast network; and a suite of business and advertising solutions. Reaching a combined monthly audience of approximately 150 million listeners, SiriusXM offers a broad range of content for listeners everywhere they tune in with a diverse mix of live, on-demand, and curated programming across music, talk, news, and sports. For more about SiriusXM, please go to: www.siriusxm.com.
Released June 1, 2023